Monday, November 2, 2009

Growing Pains for Online Education

http://marlborocollege.wordpress.com/2009/11/02/the-open-learning-inititive-at-carnegie-mellon/

I like this blog for this reason only; it makes alot of sense, because I think that alot colleges/universities will start utilizing the blended course method of instruction. My institution, Brandman University, will be starting this approach in the spring, 2010. The senior staff members' at Brandman University stated that this is the most effective way for a student to learn.

This blog talks about the blended classes, which feature half online and half on-ground, which came about from an article that was featured in The Chronicle. A. Frank Mayadas is dubbed as the "father of online learning." Apparently, Mr. Mayada asked for funding in the tune of $500 million dollars to support the traditional online courses.

This blog states that blended courses are the most effective way to learn. It demonstrates when students' should meet in person, for instance, once a week or midway through or towards the end. In addition, the students' should form groups for the express purpose of study sessions. These study sessions should be conducted at local cafes or at the library.

This blog will help me in my job as an Instructional Designer, as I may be asked to create courses that are geared for both online and on-ground. I believe that this style of teaching will be more prevalent in the future. It is important for me to know when the student's should meet face to face and why it is so important. This brand of teaching may affect my role as an Instructional Designer.

Lastly, this blog does not provide me with concrete data substantiating why blended courses are better for the student. I want to know all of the facts that are associated with why blended courses are better. If I am going to design online courses, I have to know the reasons why blended courses will be a thing of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment