Monday, November 30, 2009

Connectivism




I chose the “Social Networking” aspect for my assignment. The word social networking simply means, “Social networking is the grouping of individuals into specific groups, like small rural communities or a neighborhood subdivision, if you will.” (What is Social Networking?) I created four categories: Professional, Personal, Family, and Education. As you can see, in my Professional Category, Meetup.com applies to my Personal Category. Under my Family Category, MyLife applies to all of my Education categories.

Social networking has changed the way that I communicate with members of the groups that I belong to, for instance, ten years ago, these forums and digital tools did not exist. In addition, I would have communicated via regular mail or by phone before digital social networking erupted. I feel like I have social networking readily available. I can e-mail or instant message someone who resides in Africa, and my communication would arrive to his or her destination in a matter of minutes or hours, depending on the Internet service provider.

An example, if I have a question in my present class, I have the option to use the Question & Answer tab for questions pertaining to the class, like clarification on an assignment. For technical support, I would have to notify the Technical Department at Walden University via e-mail or phone call. For answers to my questions pertaining to raising my son, I would seek the advice of my mother using the telephone, as she knows nothing about a computer or message or e-mail one of my colleagues on CafeMom for their advice.

My personal learning networks support the central tenets of connectivism, as this learning theory is specifically geared for the digital age. My learning networks involve my online classes, electronic Internet searches for specific information related to my class, and the online college library. All of my learning networks have to do with something that is digital, which brings us back to the connectivism learning theory.

References:
What is Social Networking? (n.d.). Retrieved December 2, 2009, from http://www.whatissocialnetworking.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janet,

    I enjoyed reading your reflection and am always impressed on how you get your assignments completed early. I am one of those last minute deadline students. Well, I have to say that working full time while raising three children takes up most of my time so the weekend deadlines are a huge help in my life. I dedicate Sunday and Wednesday afternoons to completing assignments.

    Anyway, your social networking map reflects how I am networked as well. The number of ways we can stay connected opens the doors to sharing new ideas and speeds up the creation of new ideas. I do imagine it was much simpler in the 1870's when the only sources of communication was through mail and telegraph. The invention of instant communication through the telephone was the true beginning of modern networking. Having instant access to another person allows information to spread quickly but it also forces us to keep up with the fast pace of new knowledge.

    Urg. Sometimes I long for those slow lazy times in South without easy communication but then I remember that there was no airconditioning!

    Great map and reflection!
    Anita

    ReplyDelete