Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Week 6 -Managing Ongoing Projects

What specific scope creep issues occurred?

The only thing that comes to mind is something that occurred in my personal life.

My scope creep would be our Christmas family vacation to Disneyland. We started this family tradition about three years ago, one year after the passing of my hubby. He passed away right before Christmas in 2006. We chose this particular tradition to essentially to get through the holidays in one piece emotionally, which has worked so far. Another important factor is because, Disneyland is dubbed, “the happiest place on earth.”
I tend to be more organized in my professional life opposed to my personal life. I write out lists of what I need to do for work, but I neglect to this in my personal life. This is why my vacations never go as planned as far as bringing my family’s personal items, such as toothpaste, shampoo, etc. It is as if my brain turns to mush the instant my vacation begins. Because I forget my family’s personal items, this means that I must head to the local Target instead of going into the park as soon as we arrive. I mentioned that I do not make lists for anything pertaining to my personal life, right?. I end up going to Target again, because I forgot items that I originally set out to purchase.

How did you or other stakeholders deal with those issues at the time?

My stakeholder in my example instance is my 21-year-old son. My son normally takes one of his friends on vacation with us, but they bring their own personal items.

My son becomes frustrated with me, because instead of going into the park after our arrival, I have to run to Target. He laughs with me when I inform him that I had to run to Target again. He shakes his head and states that me going to Target has become another family tradition.

Looking back on the experience now, had you been in the position of managing the project, what could you have done to better manage
these issues and control the scope of the project?

I need to incorporate some of my professional organizational skills into my personal life. I should start writing lists in my every day personal life, as this has become a bad habit more than anything. I could attribute this to a habit that possibly cannot be broken

10 comments:

  1. Janet,
    If only you could tell what that smile actually means. I'm not a list writer, but just as you mentioned, some things I do in my professional life, that should be translated into my personal life, never really are. For instance, I am never late for work, but I'm always late for mostly everything else. I have a routine down when it comes to preparing for work. On the other hand, when it comes to getting to other places or events on time, scope creep gets me everytime, whether it be getting up late, finding clothes to wear, not wanting to be too early, traffic moving to slow, or simply needing to gas up. I would say that we can never really plan for scope creep because then it wouldn't creep, but some forms of scope creep we just leave the door wide open for. If we, in some sort of way, set out to manage our tasks, no matter how large or small, scope creep would be more manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet,

    We all forget a few things when going on vacation. I have discovered a way to get around this. Pack an extra bag with basic essential (hair products, hygiene products, and everything else you always forget) and don't unpack it at home. This can be a bag that you put in your closet, fully stocked, so when you go on vacation, it will already be packed with all of your essentials. Just don't forget the bag :) You could also try the list but doing it this way will eliminate one step in your packing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,

    What a great example, and one I am sure most of us can relate to! I had the same problem for many years until I took a job that demanded travel on a weekly basis. Once I experienced forgetting things over and over again, I had to come up with a solution. My solution was to create a master "going out of town list" which included essentials to pack and things to take care of at home before I left. I created it in Word as a template, so I can access it easily. In addition, I did what Heidi suggested...I have a little bag packed with the essentials that I never unpack and just grab it and pack it before I go. For me problem solved!

    For you though, I like what your son said "it's another family tradition". Perhaps something you may not want to change.... :-)

    Marne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rasheeda,

    I understand that nobody can plan for scope creep, but wouldn't be nice if we could bypass it or make it go away?

    I guess that I tend to be a perfectionist in my personal and professional life. I remind myself from time to time that I am only one person, and that nobody is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Heidi,

    Knowing me, I probably would forget the bag.

    Just recently, I instituted keeping bathroom items in my pink cosmetic case, so I do not have to stock everytime that I am on a business trip. I know that I won't ever forget my pink case, it goes with me everytime that I leave town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Marne,

    Thanks for your suggestions! :)

    Believe me, I have tried to make lists in my personal life, it does not work. I have even tried grocery lists, it does not work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incorporating business into personal is never easy. I have a very difficult time wanting to do anything at home once I return from work, but having numerous animals makes it a requirement that I do not rest. My mother is a list person and I have taken it on to a point, but there are times when it is more fun just to wonder around a store. However, not when you are on vacation and I will admit that I often say to myself that if I forget something I will just buy it down there. (Sorry when you live this far north almost everything is down there.) Maybe instead of worrying about a list, take the opportunity to view a new store. Find a place with necessities that you do not have in your hometown. You may spend a little more, but at least you get a new experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting example of scope creep but it makes sense. That seems like quite an endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janet, I'll be following your blog for our class with Mark Clauberg at Walden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janet:

    I would be following your posts.

    ReplyDelete