Monday, November 8, 2010

Blog Assignment: Learning from a Project “Post Mortem”

Project:

Just recently, I had to gather Veteran’s Assistance (VA) information for our senior staff. This information included how many of our student’s used their VA benefits to fund their classes, more specifically, how many courses each took during the fiscal year, 2009 -2010 (July 1st to June 30th).

I was given this project on a Tuesday afternoon; it was due at 5:00 PM in two days, on Thursday. Between the three campuses, I was the only employee who had access to the VA Ounce System. I literally had to go in each students’ (200) VA Ounce accounts, to see how many units they registered for during the summer, fall 1, fall 2, spring 1, and spring 2 (2009 – 2010). This work was considered tedious and time-consuming.

History:

Now bear in mind, that in all of my years with my employer, I have never learned to do the VA for our students. I volunteered to do this because two colleagues that provided the VA assistance left their jobs at the same time. It took at least a couple of months to replace my two colleagues after they resigned. There was ultimately no one who could do this job without a volunteer. This job certainly had to go on, as tuition and students needed to be paid. Therefore, I volunteered to take over the VA until my new colleague was trained adequately. I performed all of the aspects of VA as I went along; I had only minimal help at best. Lastly, I performed this job along with the other position that needed to be filled, plus my own position.

The Project’s Success and Failure:

On top of everything that I had to do, I was not sure that I could complete this project by 5:00 PM on Thursday. I would certainly do my best to meet the prescribed deadline.

I came into the office early on Wednesday and Thursday to complete, and worked on throughout both days when I had the chance, but that did not work. I needed extra time to complete, as during business hours, students’ needed immediate help in regards to their accounts and registration. My supervisor let two of my colleagues take vacation at the same time during this very same week. In the meantime, two brand new colleagues started this very same week, neither had access into anything.

I informed my supervisor that I could not get the project completed by 5:00 PM on Thursday. He told me that I should have put everything else aside to complete this project. I respectfully disagreed with him, I told him in all of my years working in the customer service arena, I must serve the student first.

Additionally, because of the current situation, my first priority was to help the student no matter what. Honestly, I would have done this again if the project and the circumstances surfaced again. I finally completed the project at noon on Friday, that was the very best that I could do under the circumstances, I felt very bad.

Conclusion:

I felt very proud of myself, I was a day late in completing and submitting the project. I served every student in a prompt, efficient, and excellent manner who required my assistance. I satisfied almost everyone without pulling every hair on my head out and maintaining my sanity.

My Frustrations:

1. My supervisor should have never let my fellow colleagues go on vacation at the same time, knowing the circumstances.

2.The senior staff requesting this information could very easily obtain the very same data through our system.

3.The senior staff should have been more on top of what was expected at their meeting way beforehand. The project data was needed for their meeting with the VA senior staff, and come to find out, they needed additional information (I will save for another story).

4.My supervisor not fully supporting my efforts.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Janet,

    Wow! That was a lot of work in a two day period. I agree with you, that was a lot of work for one person to perform in a very short period of time. Do you know if your supervisor had time to prepare for this and didn't or if it fell on their lap and then on your lap with no time to prepare? You have to wonder how and why a supervisor would enforce this in such a short time frame unless they were pushed for it to be done from higher powers. Yes, the supervisor should not have approved two people to go on vacation if they knew this had to be complete. Unfortunately, many supervisors are unsympathetic to our aggrevations.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heidi,

    According to my immediate supervisor, he had no inkling to the VA Report until he received my e-mail, informing him that I could not possibly get the report completed in the prescribed time-frame.

    The lack of communication between senior staff and campus staff has been very bad. However, everyone is making a concerted effort to change, but it not yet perfect.

    I honestly believe that the VA senior staff let the ball drop in this instance - I believe that someone did not do their job in notifying the campus staff in a timely manner of the report.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it was unfair to allow others to go on vacation and then to lay this project on you, especially when you were inexperienced in working with this particular subject area.
    This seems to be the action of a PM who did not plan and schedule well and thus it put both you and the company into a bind.
    Great work finishing only a day late; I'm not sure if I would have been able to pull that little miracle off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Wes,

    I have been in this field for a long time. I have probably done everything imaginable in regards to pulling off miracles. I have acquired great organization and prioritation skills throughout my journey. I find that I work better under stress and pressure, I am not sure why - perhaps, I am not normal. (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all in your comment to Wes, "I find that I work better under stress and pressure." If you are not normal for it, then neither am I. I worked at an answering service and everyone thought it was very strange that I was laughing and having a good old time when we would have 20+ callers on hold and crabby callers as well.

    Second, for your main blog. Half of a sentence stood out for me "I felt very proud of myself." I think a lot of people forget this little step. If we beat ourselves down everytime we think we did a bad job there would not be much left after awhile. Granted the tasks can be rough or a mistake could have been made, but bolstering our own self-esteem is important because most of the time we are the only ones who will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello MaryLei,

    For Which I am Proud:

    I may not have made the deadline that was imposed, but I completed it the next day. I still maintain that I have a great work ethic, the fact that I completed the project a day late, frankly does not dampen my spirits. :) I could have very easily said that I couldn't or wouldn't do this, but I didn't. I could have put it off until the following week when my colleagues returned, but didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet,
    Kudos for a job well done. No, you didn't meet the deadline, but you did complete the task. You did say that you volunteered to complete the task, so I'm hoping there wasn't any negative reactions from your supervisor. As you mentioned, I think someone dropped the ball as well. I'm wondering what your supervisor would have thought had you put your other assignments to the side, and students started complaining about you not being available to assist them? Furthermore, I think it was a very poor decision to allow two employees to go on vacation at the same time considering two lost positions had been filled by other employees that were not yet fluent in their positions. The circumstances around this entire assignment were against you, but you withstood the challenge. Hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete